Table Of Contents
The following research is based on information gathered by Flashpoint analysts and data collections.
Targeting the U.S.
- Iraqi Shiite insurgents carried out approximately 30 separate attacks in December 2021 targeting the U.S. military, U.S. diplomatic facilities, and other U.S. interests in Iraq.
- Twenty-nine of the incidents consisted of IED attacks targeting private contractor convoys supplying the U.S. military and there was at least one additional 107mm rocket attack targeting the U.S. embassy and Green Zone in Baghdad.
Where attacks occurred
- The Iraqi provinces that were most frequently the site of attacks by Shiite insurgents targeting the U.S. military and U.S. interests in December 2021 were: Babylon Province (30%), Al-Qadisiyyah Province (30%), Baghdad Province (10%), Anbar Province (10%), Dhi Qar Province (7%), and Saladin Province (7%).
- More specifically, the areas surrounding Al-Diwaniyah and An-Nasiriyah were prominently targeted.
Claims and threats
- At least 13 (43%) of the total Iraqi Shiite insurgent attacks targeting U.S. interests during December 2021 were specifically claimed by insurgent faction Ashab al-Kahf–making it the dominant such group. Five attacks (17%) were claimed by the insurgent faction, Brigades of Qasim al-Jabarin.
Related reading: An exclusive interview with Iraqi Shiite Insurgents Ashab al-Kahf
- A handful of other attacks were claimed by the factions Liwa Khaibar, Al-Muhandis Revenge Brigade, Kataib as-Sabiqun, Liwa Faith Khaibar, and the Brigades of Abu al-Fadl al-Abbas. Several reported incidents–including the rocket attack on the Green Zone–were never claimed by any known faction.
- Iraqi Shiite militias and insurgents have threatened to dramatically escalate their attacks on U.S. interests in January 2022 over the persistent presence of U.S. military forces in Iraq (albeit in a non-combat role).
Protect personnel, assets, and infrastructure with Flashpoint
Safeguarding company personnel, assets, and infrastructure from physical threats posed by adversaries, ranging from insiders and hacktivists to violent extremists, is inherently challenging and resource-intensive. Sign up for a demo or free trial today to see how Flashpoint can empower your security teams.